Cork Tennis Blog

Welcome to the Cork Tennis Blog.

This blog will keep you up to date on the tennis scene in Cork, both socially and competitively. Whether you are new to the game or an experienced player I hope you find the information and posts here, useful and interesting.

You can contact me by email at rob@racketrestringing.ie

Rob's Racketrestringing

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Getting to know the coaches of Cork - Colin Laffan.

So I sent a questionnaire to the coaches at the various clubs around Cork, for a bit of fun and to help you get to know them.

Here is the first reply from Colin Laffan of Rushbrooke Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club and Ballinlough Tennis Club.


A picture containing text, grass, athletic game

Description automatically generated             Coaches Profile

Name: Colin Laffan

Club(s): Rushbrooke Lawn tennis club/Ballinlough tennis club

Level: 2

 

 

1. How long have you been coaching?

1. 10 years

2. What got you into coaching?

2. It was my favourite hour of every week growing up I always thought my coach was so lucky to do it as a job. Day one of assisting him it was an easy call to make in my head.

3. Who is your favourite coach?

3. Nick Bollettieri. He was before my time and being honest It was Peter Farrell who suggested I look him up during a call. I can’t remember a week I havn’t watched him coaching to try and learn more off him. Patrick Mouratoglou would be my favorite also. You can tell how much he loves it from watching him.

4. What was your favourite tournament to play in growing up?

4. Rushbrooke. I wasn’t a confident player so needed all the support I could get, especially after Jamie Blake knocks you out of a tournament for the 500th time.

5. Who is your favourite player now and all time (if they differ)?

5. Fernando Gonzalez, best open stance forehand the sport will ever see. 

6. What is your favourite Grand Slam?

6. Wimbledon. I can’t understand why but I just love the traditions and the old school part of it. I'm always glued to it for the 2 weeks. 

7. What are your strengths as a coach?

7. I love technical work slow motion camera the small details most of all the serve. The work off the court is my biggest strength from top court subscription to the world tennis conference I'm constantly learning. 

 

8. What areas do you need to improve?

8. I think if you attend the world tennis conference at the end of that 3 days you will always realise you need to improve on everything. 

9. What has been your best moment in tennis so far as a coach?

9. Everytime you get that call on the phone from a child who has just won a tournament doesn’t matter if its under 8s a plate or a national title they always sound the same. At times adults sounding a lot like the seven-year-old with the excitement ring me after a win.

10. What is the best advice you have received so far?

10. Start early! I honestly believe if you’re a fulltime coach the latest you can start is 7am.

The days of coaching up to 7pm and 8pm just isn't sustainable and a lot of clubs don’t allow it. If you have a strong consistent morning program the evening will fill itself once the kids get out of school.

11. What was your first racket was?

11. Pure control babolat same as Fernando’s. My poor parents spent a fortune so I could run around pretending I was him.

12. What was the first tournament you played in?

12. Can’t remember but I arrived, was terrified, cried and lost my temper. Luckily for my mom and dad I only continued this behaviour for another 10 years until 17.

 


No comments: