Cork Tennis Blog

Welcome to the Cork Tennis Blog.

This blog will keep you up to date on the tennis scene in Cork, both socially and competitively. Whether you are new to the game or an experienced player I hope you find the information and posts here, useful and interesting.

You can contact me by email at rob@racketrestringing.ie

Rob's Racketrestringing

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Getting to know the Coaches of Cork - Joanne Williamson

Next up with their profile is Joanne Williamson.  Joanne is a busy woman and coaches at Monkstown Lawn Tennis Club, St. Michaels Tennis Club and Ballinlough Tennis Club.


Coaches Profile

 

Name: Jo-Anne Williamson 

Club(s): Monkstown, St. Michaels, Ballinlough. Co. Cork

Level: 2


 

1. How long have you been coaching?

1. I've been coaching for over 30 years! (I’m very old now!) 

2.      What      got      you       into coaching? 

2. Filling in for my coach who was injured & I knew it was for me and passed up my U.S scholarship to go into full time coaching

3. Who is your favourite coach? 

3. I think home grown Paul Casey is one of my favourites! Such passion & intensity is rare when someone has been at the job for such a long length of time! Total respect !!

4. What was your favourite tournament to play in 

growing up? 

4. I always loved the Irish open in Fitzwilliam. I only made a final twice (& came 2nd )  but played plenty of semis.

5. Who is your favourite player now and all time (if they differ)? 

5. One from the history books is Monica Seles, I played table tennis against her when I was in the Bolletteri  Academy and was hooked.  Irish player possibly Scott Barron, I trained with him a lot & his court manner & ability was always outstanding (plus he's so humble!) 

6. What is your favourite Grand Slam? 

6. I love the U.S open, I plan to get there & tie it in with some shopping !!! 

7. What are your strengths as a coach? 

7. I think patience and communication. I've always been told I'm a "people person" so I guess I'm approachable. 

8. What areas do you need to improve? 

8. Everything! Nobody knows it all & I'm happy to learn from those who can teach.  

9. What has been your best moment in tennis so far as a coach? 

9. I've worked with national players right down to schools tennis players and the best moments are always when a player, no matter their standard, says " I'm still playing tennis" that's what it's all about!  

10. What is the best advice you have received so far? 

10. Your volley is only as good as your approach! You can use this in life too! Set yourself up well with positivity around you and you'll succeed! 

Very philosophical! 

11.     What    was    your     first racket? 

11. I was 9/10 years old when I started and remember a wooden Dunlop Maxiply (oh God just showed my age!) 

12.     What     was     the      first tournament you played in? 

12. A round Robin in my holiday home in 

Rosslare! The first real recognised tournament though was The Barniville Babes held in Fitzwilliam in Dublin. I lost 0 & 0 the first year and won it the following year winning a years worth of sponsored coaching! 

 

 

No comments: