Cork Tennis Blog

Welcome to the Cork Tennis Blog.

This blog will keep you up to date on the tennis scene in Cork, both socially and competitively. Whether you are new to the game or an experienced player I hope you find the information and posts here, useful and interesting.

You can contact me by email at rob@racketrestringing.ie

Rob's Racketrestringing

Monday, June 20, 2011

Best of luck Conor.


I know everyone will have their stories about the time Conor did this, or when I played Conor, and this I'm sure is the same all over the world as many players play Wimbledon for the first time this year.

But if anyone deserves their chance to perform on the big stage it is Conor and knowing him he won't be thinking about just one match, he will have his sights set on a certain Roger Federer.

This achievement alone will do more for Irish tennis than anything or anyone gone before him.  I say this without being disrespectful to Louk Sorensen's achievement or as the media are mentioning Matt Doyle, the last 'Irish' man to play in Wimbledon.

The difference for me is, Conor grew up playing his tennis in Ireland, he travelled around playing the tournament scene, he played interpros for Munster, he has won Irish titles, he plays and trains in Dublin so he is more accessible to the Irish public and much better known.

All our up and coming juniors know Conor and have met him and no doubt have received words of encouragement or wisdom from him at some point.  To a lot of them he is their inspiration and tomorrow he will be their hero playing in, what to us, is the biggest of the Grand Slams.

I have no doubt when I say 'GOOD LUCK' to Conor, I'm not just saying it from me, I'm saying it from the whole tennis population in Ireland.

Read a very interesting article written by Conor for this blog and you will get an insight into how tough it is on the tour and how hard you have to work to make a living.  And then you will get an appreciation of what Conor has achieved in qualifying for Wimbledon.

No comments: